Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

PowerProject on Planning Planet

27 replies [Last post]
Gary France
User offline. Last seen 16 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None
Having just joined Planning Planet, I was asked to enter my software experience / skills in various planning software packages. I have to admit to being very suprised that PowerProject was not on the list of choices. In the UK, I believe this software is the most widely used, especially in the property / construction sector.

Having looked around the PP website for a while, I see that the greatest number of members are from the UK, so I am bemused at this seemingly major ommission. I can also see that a number of members discussed this point in the recent software evaluation.

Can anybody tell me why this software is not recognised by PP as being significant enough for PP to mention / enquire about?

Replies

Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Guys,

I noticed we’re still in P3. Maybe we should start putting in P3e or P3e/c. Since this is a new software from Primavera, a lot of people will be needing online help.

And since P3e/c (or is it P3e?) upgrades are free for P3 users with software maintenance, then there could be a lot of people out there who are having difficulties adjusting to the more powerful new system.

I think that adding P3e / p3ec will generate more activity in the Planet Forum.

Jorge
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi guys,

One can not really say if a software is better than the other if he does not know how to use both. I can post in the MSProject & P3 threads because I’m a P3 and MSP user.

I would like to share my knowledge for Powerproject but I can’t because I have not used it and not even seen it. No offense meant, but I am very interested in exploring this software.

I think it will be more productive if we focus on the functionalities of the softwares we want to compare. Anyway, I would like to believe that our common objective is to find out which among the available softwares in the market is the most responsive to the needs of planners.
Darrell ODea
User offline. Last seen 18 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Well sed Gary, think we get your angle now Bernard.
Gary France
Hi all,

I started this thread.

All I wanted to know was why Asta’s PowerProject was not included in Planning Planet’s joining questionnaire!

I didn’t mean WW3 to start !

I look forward to some sense breaking out and I suggest this can only happen when Planning Planet actually do add PowerProject / Teamplan into your questionnaire / surveys so that somebody actually knows which software package is most greatly used.

Gary France.
Bernard Ertl
    ... and I’ve little to no idea what you are on about. Let’s call a halt there.

1. I am all for promoting planning, scheduling and project management as a profession - independent of the software tools used.
  2. I have recognized PowerProject’s advocates on the Planning Planet. The Planning Planet team is working to accomodate the requests for recognition.
  3. P3 is a popular subject on this site. I stated so as fact without disparaging PowerProject in any way.
  4. My company offers software that is compatible/integrated with several project management systems as well as software that competes with them in a niche market (thus the irony I mentioned). I have a very good feel for the market for our partner’s systems.
  5. There is nothing to halt as I never "started" anything. We are simply engaged in a cordial discussion. IMO, you have been misinterpreting what I have written, but with persistence, I hope to change that. :-)

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc. - Project Management Software, Project Planning Software
Ken Brown
User offline. Last seen 11 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Whooa - Stop Bernard. I give in - I surrender. I’m tired, my brain hurts and I’ve little to no idea what you are on about. Let’s call a halt there.
Darrell ODea
Thats alright, no offence taken Bernard.
P3 still rules!!!! (Well dats my opinion.)
Bernard Ertl
Darrell, there is a separate forum for carrying out a discussion on Teamplan. I suggest you start a thread over there if you see areas that need improvement.

edit: Sorry! I was thinking about Teamplay - my mistake - please ignore this post.

Bernard Ertl
Bernard Ertl
    Sorry if I’ve offended you Bernard but I still think you’ve missed my point and my obviously my pathetic attempt at humour.

The offending (and unnecessary) remark was removed.

I understand your point. I just think you are flogging the wrong horse so to speak. I have not argued the issue.

You’re still coming across as if we’re all mental for using anything but P3.

How this could be so baffles me. I think perhaps you are reading more into what I’m writing that what I’m actually writing.

I’m sure that the folks at Primavera would find that statement deliciously ironic.

Bernard Ertl
Darrell ODea
Still tink P3 rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We will not change peoples minds.
So why don’t ye stop fightin & start talking about how Teamplan could be improved? if that could be possible.
Ken Brown
Sorry if I’ve offended you Bernard but I still think you’ve missed my point and my obviously my pathetic attempt at humour.

I never said you were a ’P3 lover’ although there are plenty of them around.

Your point to Gary was that P3 was the most popular discussion topic on the forum. My point was that until last week, it would have been because Powerproject/Teamplan users had no forum on which to discuss this particular package. I’ve no doubt that P3 will probably remain the most popular topic on the forum. The views of all us planners in the UK are worth listening to as they make up a large proportion of members of this site and I would hazard a guess that Powerproject/Teamplan is the most popular software used in the UK.

I think (although I may be wrong) that a few people have said here that they tried using P3/MSP/Powerproject/Teamplan and that they either prefer the ASTA packages or they don’t particularly like P3. If you’ve tried all these packages and still prefer P3 then good for you. You’re still coming across as if we’re all mental for using anything but P3.
Bernard Ertl
Ken, I’m have not missed any of the points. In fact, I recognized the PowerProject crowd’s desire for inclusion and responded to it positively (see my first post in this thread).

FWIW, I am not a P3 "lover". I don’t even use P3. However, I am honest enough to state what I see as the truth. We have a world-wide client base and I have travelled extensively. It appears to me that it is the PowerProject users/advocates on this board that are being myopic with regards to the popularity of PowerProject. But that is just my opinion.

P.S. Let’s keep the conversations on the Planning Planet friendly and professional. Taunts and insults are not appropriate here.

Bernard Ertl
Ken Brown
Oh and by the way Bernard, as a sweaty sock, I must point out that Powerproject/Teamplan is very popular in the UK, not just England.

edited by moderator
Ken Brown
I think you’re missing the point here Bernard. P3 will always be the most ’popular’ package used by members of this forum if we don’t have the chance to discuss and vote for what is probably the 2nd most popular package. After 18 months of visiting this site, congrats to the moderator for finally finding the time and space to include Powerproject and Teamplan - it will probably be a real bore to have folks discussing something other than P3 I know but that’s life I suppose.

Like Daya and others, I’ve used P3, PP, TP, MSP and others and I must confess that P3 is not my favourite and not the favourite of most of my clients. Why? - I can’t put my finger on it but I am just never happy with the end product. Maybe this is a construction/petrochem/other discipline thing.

I also agree with David, in that I have found the staff at ASTA to be to be top notch and very helpful. I have had them create specific macros and the like for my clients - all very successful and produced at very reasonable rates.

In the past I have found the majority of my ’P3 lovers’ to have been P3 users( and nothing else) for all of their existence. They think P3 is best because that is all they have known and they have no intention of even attempting to try or learn anything else.

I must apologise for some the comments here Bernard, it appears that some folks in the ’rest of the world’ get a bit dubious when they hear someone in the US talking about the ’rest of the world’.

And finally - I hope Darrell and his two colleagues continue to be very happy together.
Bernard Ertl
    I am staggered at the statement by Bernard Ertl (see below)…. "The membership of the Planning Planet is weighted towards Primavera users". How would he know?

Gary, I made a judgement call based upon reading all of the threads in the forums. I do not think it is a coincidence that the Primavera forum is one of the most active here.

I understand that PowerProject is fairly popular in England, but the Planning Planet membership is more global than that. YMMV

Bernard Ertl
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Note From PP on inclusion of Powerproject Teamplan (and other software) on the member datafile.

Please have some patience with us. This package has not been included in the "Member Skills" section of the member datafile yet, because of scripting difficulties, as opposed to us "talking about it".

We have our member skills stored in an array in the datafile and we have foolishly used "A" to "Z" as the codes for each software/skill. We have used 26 of them and reached "Z" and run out of options. To improve things we are having to change ther whole concept of how we store the data. It will be sorted and improved.

We are including a major listing of software packages in our impending software survey and it will be very useful to see the popularity etc.

Thanks.
Gary France
I am staggered at the statement by Bernard Ertl (see below)…. "The membership of the Planning Planet is weighted towards Primavera users". How would he know? I suspect this is complete nonsense in reality and I say that because Planning Planet do not list PowerProject / Teamplan in the questionnaire that has to be completed when joining Planning Planet. If you don’t list it, how can member’s vote for it?

As I was joining PP, I nearly gave up when I saw that it didn’t list PowerProject / Teamplan, because I immediately thought, being a PowerProject user, how is this website going to be able to help me?

I suggest that Planning Planet actually do something about this. Add PowerProject to you joining questionnaire straight away – don’t debate it, or think about it – just do it. It is only then that you will be able to say with any certainty that the membership is weighted towards Primavera. Until that happens, you simply don’t know.

Adding PowerProject to the list might actually then tempt all of those other members who have been put off because it isn’t listed, to actively participate.

Gary France
Forum Guest
Really, if this is so, planning softwares need a long way to go if P3 is the best in the market.
Darrell ODea
Lets see, two colleagues of mine, have for years used Powerproject, then gone on to use "Teamplan". They have now stopped using "Teamplan" in favour of P3.
This speaks for itself folks.
Bernard Ertl
    Ken Brown wrote:
    I have come to the conclusion that this site is predominantly for those that are in love with P3 and spit at the mention of any other software.

I think it is fair to say that Primavera owns the construction industry market for most of the world. Microsoft Project appears to have greater inroads in the IT market. Welcom has excellent penetration into the Aerospace market. Etc...

The membership of the Planning Planet is weighted towards Primavera users, but that is probably just a reflection of real world usage. I think that most of the software packages out there have some unique qualities that stand out over the others. None are perfect.

Bernard Ertl
Daya Sugunasingha
User offline. Last seen 16 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Greetings Planning Planetiers,
I agree with the last comment that there seems to be a bias to P3. I have used P3 and many others such Open Plan, Hornet, Microplanner, MS Project, Commander and Power Project version 5 and I would that ease & speed of use and comes with practice and knowledge of the software. The planner’s preference for any of the planning software in particular is his familarity with it, because he is usually expected to produce the "goods" to deadlines and does not have the time to learn as he goes.
Planning software after is only a tool and no tool is equally good at doing everything is it?
Regards
Daya
Forum Guest
I agree with Ken. It seems the site is monopolized by "P3 lovers". I am also using P3 but I believe there’s more to planning software other than P3. P3 for me is not good enough, not to mention, it is expensive. I will have to see a thread which can really disect functionalities of other softwares. For all you know, powerproject may be the best and most user friendly software to use.
Forum Guest
Hi PPers,

Let it never be said that we are only ’in love with P3’ (spit-spit?!). Please take a look at the forum category title above!!

I trust that this will be the beginnings of a useful facility for you PowerProject Guru’s

We will try to get the Powerproject suject included on the member skills listing. Feel free to challenge us again!

Regards...Planning Planet Team.
Ken Brown
This discussion regarding Powerproject/TeamPlan has been going on for well over a year now. What’s left to discuss? I have come to the conclusion that this site is predominantly for those that are in love with P3 and spit at the mention of any other software. Go on - prove me wrong.
David Scott
User offline. Last seen 18 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Just joined Planning Planet and equally surprised to not find Powerproject on selection list. I work for a major UK contractor who is corporately signed up to Powerproject Teamplan

Must be a case for a new discussion forum here!
Bernard Ertl
Hi Gary. The PP team is still working on the software survey and other improvements to the site. I’m sure that this is just an oversight. I expect they will add PowerProject to the list as soon as they get to it.

Bernard Ertl