Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

ASTA Powerproject

15 replies [Last post]
Seamus Mockler
User offline. Last seen 19 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
We are considering migrating from Primavera P3 to ASTA Powerproject v7 (we looked at P3e but were a liitle daunted by it). Anyone considered doing likewise (or even implemented)? Any advice / suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in anticipation

Seamus

Replies

Darrell ODea
User offline. Last seen 18 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Tanks Daya.
Daya Sugunasingha
User offline. Last seen 16 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Darrell
Good to hear from you again
Regards
Daya
Darrell ODea
Lets see, think perhaps interest in PP & TP are waining??
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi PPers,

Following some lively interest in the ’Powerproject’ subject we have now created a new Forum Category especially for you Powerproject Guru’s.

We hope that this will be of interest to you?

Regards.
Darrell ODea
Thanks For you comments Daya / David.
Didnt mean any offence, just an expressing my own experiences and opinions.

I am pretty open minded about Teamplan and Powerproject.
But presently it doesnt match my requirements.

Again,
Sorry if an offence was caused.
David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 5 days ago. Offline
WOW! No messing with you eh Daya!

I guess Darrell is entitled to his opinion but and I know I have driven v7 really hard and found some things that wouldn’t work for me (something to do with cash flow and paying salaries on a monthly basis but wanting the output in terms of hourly spend). Notwithstanding that the beauty of Powerproject is that you can speak to someone very easily about your problems (I don’t know if the same applies from Ireland) and inevitably I get my problems sorted out over the ‘phone. I doubt that is the case with any of the other major vendors, and bugs, if you bother to report them, are fixed quickly. The major cause of my problems seem to be advancing years and a memory that forgets much of what I have already learnt and been told. So, training is important, I don’t think you can expect to fly v7 as well as you could earlier versions without some bridging.

Anyway, peace to all – there are more important things going on than to fight or get abusive about the merits of PM software!

David

dbordoli@burofour.co.uk
Visit Buro Four’s NEW website
Daya Sugunasingha
Darrell
That is a load of Crap?
I had a couple of weeks of real hard work when I moved to Team Plan from V5 because the new software was very different and I had to un learn the menu of the old to learn the menu of the new. But my opion now is that it is an extremely good planning tool for planning.
I am however starting a new project where I have to returning to using to P3 and I am not looking forward to the extra hours I will have to spend to output the same.
Regards
Daya
Darrell ODea
Personally I would not yet change to Teamplan. (PPV7)
Having lots of teething problems still.
Add ons required, support not up to the marketing.
Still along way to go with reliability on big network analysis, rescheduling and filtering.
Presentation not as flexible as P3.

This my own opinion though, would buy it yet, too risky.
Robert England
User offline. Last seen 17 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Hi All
I earnt on Powerproject V5 and worked with it for three years, Not hard to pick up, and me from a trade background. Then five months ago we moved up to Teamplan V7. Light years away from Powerproject. I have now moved companies and am now using Pertmaster. Again realy easy to pick up and run with, but this time light years behind Teamplan! Basic functions on Teamplan like multi editing is much more efficiant. Presentation has more depth and it seems to lift of the page rather than being a flat document. I dont have any ties with Asta but they have listened to the users and put together a superb package. I realy would not bother with V5, go straight to V7
Bob
David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 5 days ago. Offline
Seamus

May I suject you contact Asta (Astas website) ther is lots of information on there and the sales team are v frindly. They will even send you a disc so you can test a fully working copy for a month.

There are a number of methods of transfering data between the systems (som us the .mpx format) but there may be special macros to convert from P3 to PowerProject.

Another thing in its favour is that, in the UK construction industry at least, it is by far the most commonly used planning/project management software in use so it is more likely that you will be able to directly share your clients and subcontractors and others programmes.

Regards

David
dbordoli@burofour.co.uk

Visit Buro Fours NEW, website
Daya Sugunasingha
Seamus
I have used both P3 and ASTA Power Project and I would recomend you try it out. It is very user friendly and yet a very powerful planning tool.
Power Project is a project planning tool like P3. You need to consider what is the best tool for the intended project. For example I would use a truck to cart away large loads, or a bus to transport people, or rocket to get to the moon.
Different tools for different jobs!
Daya
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Seamus
I have used both P3 and ASTA Power Project and I would recomend you try it out. It is very user friendly and yet a very powerful planning tool.
Power Project is a project planning tool like P3. You need to consider what is the best tool for the intended project. For example I would use a truck to cart away large loads, or a bus to transport people, or rocket to get to the moon.
Different tools for different jobs!
Daya
Bryce Phillips
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Clive Holloway
User offline. Last seen 8 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
I have used Powerproject since its launch over 12 years ago. It for me as a pure planner is just the best PM tool. For me as a planner Powerproject is user friendly, graphically excellent, simple to use, quick to produce charts, allows you to work on the bar chart to produce the network, etc, etc. P3 is a dinosaur like a good many other heavyweight PM software packages.
Mohamed Gebriel
User offline. Last seen 10 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Semus,

I would be interested to know why exactly are you considering ASTA Powerproject and in what is it superior. Also what exactly in P3e didnt you like and in what type of projects would this implementation be done to. I do experience in implementing planning and control systems based on P3 and P3e, so I might be able to help.