Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Ver. 7 bug when importing from P3

13 replies [Last post]
Yasser Elyosefi
User offline. Last seen 4 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello Planners,

My company purchased the latest version of P6 ( Ver. 7 ). But I face a problem when I try importing from P3. I get an error message:

Invalid Class String, ProgID
EVENT CODE: ICSPI-1034-6

I think that is a bug in the software.

How can I overcome this bug to import important data and projects stored in P3??

Regards,

Yasser

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

you will need 8 p3 files in order for the p3 option NOT to be greyed out 

option #1 

Import P3 into P6 without the converter program 1. make these foldersc:\P3WINC:\P3WIN\P3OUTc:\p3win\P3PROGSC:\P3WIN\P3WORKC:\P3WIN\PROJECTS 2. go to the folder labeled as \p3files 3 needed 3. unzip these files into a temp folder 4. copy the 3 files (W32MKDE.EXE, W32MKRC.DLL & WBTRV32.DLL) into the C:\windows\system32 folder and the c:\P3WIN folder 5. copy the file named USERFIL.p3 to the C:\P3Win\P3WORK folder 6. copy the file named p3.ini to the C:\windows folder reboot your computer now you should be able to bring in p3 files to p6 7. if you get a backed-up p3 file with a file name such as XXXX.prx extension simply change the file name to xxxx.exe then click on the xxxx.exe file and expand it to a folder that you can locate druing the P6 import.  OPTION #2Import P3 into P6 via the Converter Program make a new folder named C:\P3WIN\PROJECTS 1. FROM THE FILE Unzip the P3Converter.zip to C:\P3WIN\PROJECTS  2. Open windows explorer and Browse to the folder labeled as C:\P3Converter\Ra folder. 3. find the file named registerRa32.bat. select it then right click and select open 4. Now you should be able to Import/Export P3 data using the utilities in the c:\P3Converter folder. 5. or to convert a P3 file to P6 select P330XERConvert.exe or to convert from P6 to P3 select XERP330Convert.exe   
Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

John,

You could get a hold of a trial of Primavera Risk Analysis from the Oracle edelivery site. This will let you open a P3 Project, then export it to an XER format. The software is very $$$ though to buy just for this purpose - and I wouldn't recommend buying it for the risk analysis side of things either.

John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 2 days 8 hours ago. Offline

Yes, there are still p3 files that still need conversion, any recommendations of the current easiest way?  In my efforts I noticed that Btrieve now has a 64 bit version, but simply installing it on my machine does not turn on the greyed out P3 import option.  (Like it should - Same for the P330XERCONVERT.EXE program which is the same thing.)  It is greyed out because Oracle didn't want to pay the Btrieve license for the import option...installying it should make it an active option.  I don't mind paying some money, I am just looking for something that works.  Even installing p3 in the XP module doesn't really work...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-reeves-33287312/

John Reeves

I have Primavera 7.0.  Import is a lit up option.  I already have the PRX files?  The will not show up in the directories I tell it to look at.  Why is that?  A couple old .prx files will show up.  Primavera should know that everyone deals with contractors that use old software because people don't want to pay 6K and deal with the complexity of P6.  Primavera does not make the import process easy, the PRX files were actually made on the same machine in Virtual XP, but that still does not make it easy to import into P6 7.0  I have access to a 8.X version, but P3 import option is greyed out.  I think I will have to dig up suretrak, export to MS Project, then into P6...

John Reeves

I have Primavera 7.0.  Import is a lit up option.  I already have the PRX files?  The will not show up in the directories I tell it to look at.  Why is that?  A couple old .prx files will show up.  Primavera should know that everyone deals with contractors that use old software because people don't want to pay 6K and deal with the complexity of P6.  Primavera does not make the import process easy, the PRX files were actually made on the same machine in Virtual XP, but that still does not make it easy to import into P6 7.0  I have access to a 8.X version, but P3 import option is greyed out.  I think I will have to dig up suretrak, export to MS Project, then into P6...

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 26 min ago. Offline
Quote: "If you do not want to install P3 on your P6 6.2 PC, you can instead have your P3 User use a separate P3/XER Import/Export utility that will create/convert the XER for the P3 User. Then the P3 User can send the XER to the 6.2 User or convert the XER to a P3 Project."

Is a workaround, but eventually you will need P3/SureTrak when your P3/SureTrak user is not available.

Talk to your Primavera vendor to see if a SureTrak license can do the trick the same way P3 does, without losing P3 fields not available in SureTrak, as it is a separate utility it might do the trick, can be a licensing issue typical of Primavera.
Yasser Elyosefi
I think they are telling the same. i.e. P3 should be installed to the machine.
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 26 min ago. Offline
D Artagnan
User offline. Last seen 2 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
unfortunately, you have to install P3. Maybe some other guys here know some options.
Yasser Elyosefi
Hello Artagnan,

You mean I need to install both on my machine??

Is there any other way to do it??

Regards,

Yasser
D Artagnan
P6.7 requires, as far as I know, P3 program to import P3 files to P6.
Yasser Elyosefi
No. only P6.
D Artagnan
Do you have the P3 installed in your computer?