Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Baseline with actual dates in

9 replies [Last post]
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi guys,

I have received a Level 2 program for central Park for one of the project. It has actual dates in it and the guy who has prepared that, is not working anymore with us anymore.

When i updated the program and assigned the baseline, then baseline is not showing those actual dates. Instead it is using the logic and relationship assigned to derive the dates.

Is there any option, wherein we have the actual dates in baseline start and finish column.

Cheers,

Rav

Replies

Avik Mitra
User offline. Last seen 5 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Mr. Raviraj, I am facing the same problem. After seeing Mr. Mark's solution, I have tried the same. But some error is coming in more or less 1000 activities(I have total 5500 activities) and where error is coming, in those activities dates are not matching also. Do you have any solution?
Leonard Okpaleke
User offline. Last seen 12 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

Hi All,

Please does anyone have a refinery maintenance wbs sample programme?

Regards,

Leonard

Mark M
User offline. Last seen 13 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Rav, I’m afraid I cannot comment on what affect changing this would have, as it depends on how your company is using P6...

I would be interested in hearing others’ opinions on this topic...

Regards
Mark
A D
Thanks Mark,

Seems to be good workaround and more practical if admin settings are set to ’planned dates’.

However, will you please elaborate on the calculation part? What if admin guys changes the settings, then, will it affect anything else, any other calculations???

I have not been using Earned value in primavera, so I dont have a clue what will change if I use current values for calculating earned value from a baseline.

Will u plz!!

:-)

Rav
Mark M
Hi Rav

A possible "work around" for you without changing admin settings is running the following global changes:

Before creating a new baseline, 2 global changes need to be run:

Where Actual Start is not equal to {blank} then Planned Start equals Actual Start.

Where Actual Finish is not equal to {blank} then Planned Finish equals Actual Finish.

After these global changes are made, a new baseline can be created & all activities should show actual dates. **However** If you’re actual dates fall on a non-work day specified in the activity calendar, the planned dates will show the date of the last available work day. I.e. An activity has an actual finish on a Sunday with a calendar showing non-work of weekends the planned date will be the Friday prior.

So to work around this, you need to adjust your calendar to show an exception on any days actually worked that were non-work days. Then run the global changes, then create the new baseline.

Note that I have used this work around in the past due to admin settings set to "planned dates" & I have used this to capture actual dates in "month end" baselines etc.

I have not been using EV within P6 so cannot comment on the effect this will have on any EV calculations.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mark
A D
Thanks Mark for such a quick response.

I dont have Paul harris book on P6, but i believe it’s a must now for shelf.

meanwhile, will u plz elaborate more on the different options available in the earned vale tab mentioned above.

Getting it from my admin guys is too tough, first to explain what is correct and then changing it.

Cheers,

Rav
Mark M
Hi Raviraj

This is a problem I have also come across. The setting is set by the administrator in the earned value calculations. If you check your admin preferences, the "Earned Value" tab, I’m guessing your Earned Value Calculation "When calculating earned value from a baseline use" = "Budgeted Values with planned dates". The other option is "At Completion Values with current dates".

This setting will indeed show some odd dates IMHO due to the way P6 calculates "planned dates". It will also determine what baseline data is shown & variances etc.

This seems to be just another P6 "tick box" where a planner can come unstuck believing the answers P6 gives without a full understanding of how it calculates.

I have had many discussions with Primavera Support regarding this, as well as colleagues regarding the "best" setting to be used. This has led to much debate....

I am by no means an expert on this, however, Paul Harris’ P6 book explains in detail how these dates are calculated.

Hope that sheds some light on your particular issue.

Cheers
Mark

A D
Hi arnold,

no, this is not what I have asked!!

Let me try to explain it once again.

I have got a Baseline Program (Hard & Soft copy) signed by top management team last year (april 07). The program was being updated by the planner every month and submitted to the management. He has resigend and left. Baseline program signed by the management has few actual dates in it as they found it must be the part of the program in those days.

Now, I have been told to look over that project. I want to update the program with data date as 10th September 08. I wud like to assign baseline and then add column BL start & BL finish with variance.

Now, when i have assigend baseline, the BL start (& finish)column shows the dates as per the logic given rather than those actual dates.

Is there any option in P6, wherein I can have those ACTUAL DATES intact in those BL columns??

I hope, this time its clear.

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Rav,

Why do you want to update your Baseline?

Anyway, to update your Baseline, go to Project Menu --> Maintain Baseline --> Highlight the baseline & Select Update, Mark the “Update existing activities already in the baseline” & select Update Options, Mark the necessary checkboxes you need especially “Dates, duration and data date” then OK and UPDATE.

Notes: If you choose the ’Dates, durations, and data date’ option to ensure that these fields are updated, after you run the baseline update, you should restore the baseline project, then schedule and re-baseline the project.

HTH.

Arnold