Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Version 3.5 1000 XER file cannot be imported ?

7 replies [Last post]
David Moses
User offline. Last seen 11 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hi There,

I am using Primavera Version 5.0.

I was trying to import a file to version 5.0.

But I could not manage it. It gave me this message:

"Version 3.5 1000 XER file cannot be imported"

What should I do?

Regards,

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi David,
"5.1" was my mistake, sorry.

I never tested, if it does work without modifcation of the XER-file. Primavera does only accept the previous version for import.

Installation of SP 1 is recommended by the distributor due to bug-fixes. The readme file shows which bugs are fixed. Meanwhile they have SP3.
David Moses
Dear Dieter,

Thank you very much indeed.

As you suggested, I just replaced the "3.5" to "5.0" with a text editor.(Notpad)

Now there is no problem at all.It really worked.

On the other hand,
I have read somewhere on web (http://www.cmcs.ae/?page=products&anchor=tips_and_tricks)that another solution to this problem could be the installation of "Primavera Project Management Version 5.0 Service Pack 1". But I did not try it.

Regards
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi David,
XER is a text file, so you can edit it with any Editor.
The Version is in indicated in the first line. It depends from the contents, but you have a chance to cheat P3e, if you just replace "3.5" by "5.1".
Don’T forget your copy for security!
Good luck
Dieter
David Moses
Hi There,

Thank you for your kind reply.

But how could I import that file to Version 3.1, since that file seems Version 3.5 1000 XER file?

If I could manage that update as you said then I will be able to open it by version 5.0. May be I will loose some data as you said.

Let me simplify it;

Input:
1) I have Version 3.1 installed on my computer.
2) I have Version 5.0 installed on my computer.
3) I have Version 3.5 1000 XER file.

Question:
1) How could I open that Version 3.5 1000 XER file with the installed softwares above?
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
You might try to export to P3 and then import this into P5. You might lose some types of data and P3.5 was not perfect at creating P3 schedules but it is worth a shot. Good luck!
David Moses
Hi There,

Thank you for your kind reply.

But How could I update that file to V4.0 or 4.1?

Since I have only Version 3.1 and Version 5.0 installed on my computer. I could not update that file to V4.0 or 4.1 with either Version 3.1 or Version 5.0.

Regards,
Mario Sanvitale
User offline. Last seen 12 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Update the file to V4.0 or 4.1 first.