Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

WORKING IN EXTREME ENVIRONMENTS (WEATHER WISE)

14 replies [Last post]
Gwen Blair
User offline. Last seen 10 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Having recently departed from the Artic Circle and been out in Barrow Island W.A. can we have a thread discussing planning issues relating to working in extreme environments - cold and hot?

Replies

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Mimoune,

I’m just trying to figure out real life situation, no offense or pun intended. Quiamco is right, people will just collapse in extreme heat. So the site engineer/foreman cannot pressure them to work at their regular effeciency and you cannot prevent them from taking their breakfast at 9:00 am.
Anoon Iimos
Gary,

Believe it or not, 20% is conservative, considering that it is a muslim country (you have to consider their prayer time). For me 50% reduction is appropriate.
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 13 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
How much would you typically expect productivity to drop on a construction project during the summer months of somewhere hot like Kuwait? I know some countries have restricted working hours during the summer months for H&S reasons, but in addition to this, I would presume construction workers will get less done per hour on site? Does a 20% reduction in productivity sound about right?
Bijaya Bajracharya
User offline. Last seen 8 years 3 days ago. Offline
Having been involved in planning a project located at 4600m above sea level (probably one of the highest altitude construction project) a few years ago, I can say try to write something here. There were issues like acclimitising (preparing your body to get used to low level of oxygen in air), difficult logistic, health and safety (including emergency evaculation procedures). Furthermore working period is only three months in a year due to weather conditions. Once such preipheral issues are addressed, the plan worked and the project was completed in two seasons as planned.
Anoon Iimos
you see Gwen? it is spontaneous
Anoon Iimos
Gwen,

as i’ve said, extremes either way need some kind of stimulation, whether personal (or emotional) or even the physical elements involved, that’s why engineering / design is crucial in these conditions, you’ll be dealing with various reactions to the extremes as well..

(just a try, i hope it’s not pun)
Gwen Blair
User offline. Last seen 10 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
All elements (no pun intended - - well maybe).

Stephen Coates
User offline. Last seen 17 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Gwen,

Are you talking about personal issues relating to extreme working conditions or on the Prject planning side? hahahahaha

I know that here in the UAE, production rates drop drastically during summer due to the high temps. Mind you, our production rates are low to start off with!
Stephen Coates
User offline. Last seen 17 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Well, fire away then. You are the OP, so we will let you begin.
Anoon Iimos
engineering wise, materials / machineries will vary in extreme weather conditions, in extremely hot weather machineries will need more lubrication to keep them cool, while colder ones, you need to normalize it or keep m hot, otherwise it will not run.
Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
i love extreme
IC Quiamco
User offline. Last seen 13 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
I work in Qatar in my previous O&G project. Man, when heat wave comes. I see a lot of workers collapsing. Prayer time and productivity is not an issue there because we have steady supply of manpower from (India, Philippines, Bangladesh) that project got a manpower peak of 17000 people.

This guys are the real HERO out there in times of EXTREME CONDITIONS.
mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 4 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
yet another FUD about islam, so praying God is causing lost of productivity.

friendly