Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

CPM HOW IS IT CREATED ?

4 replies [Last post]
ulysses garcia
User offline. Last seen 13 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
Hi Guys,

In my school days I learned the CPM is created as a result of forward and backward pass computation.

In this todays modern world with the aide of powerfull computers the CPM is totally violated in a sense it does not obey the proper rule of planning.

What i want to say , others are making or they first identify by themselselves where the CPM will run thru along the schedule not a CPM as a result of a computation.

My Question: Can CPM be indentify first or after computation

Replies

Pranab Kumar Deb
User offline. Last seen 2 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
GREATLY SAID AND WRITTEN
regards
deb
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Yes absolutely Ashraf,

Everybody knows that, P3/MSP is a great tool to help PLANNING ENGINEER to save significant amount of time. But, like every other software, applications like p3, MSP are just tools; they do not execute the entire job for the PMs. It is unacceptable to expect a computer to manage the project, it just manages the vast amount of data that large projects require to store. Project management software is incapable of “establishing project objectives, define project tasks or dependencies, determine and manage project constraints”.

As the significance of having a proper Statement of Requirement becomes more and more apparent, project management software should consciously take a secondary role in a project system since their power can only be exploited when the project is defined correctly.

Computers can only help producing wrong plans faster, instead of understanding the critical path.

A Planning Engineer is not only a BUTTON PUSHER; but he is the brain of PM on the basis of which the entire project team works (say 1000’s of workforce).

Activities on critical path doesn’t reflect the valued activities in terms of cost, but is reflects only the duration required. It might be the case, wherein TOWER CRANE may remain idle, as it is having float, whereas small water tank construction is on the critical time during a taken period of time. So, ultimately, activities should be dictated by the PM/CM, and planning engineer should help these two guys, to take the project profit margin higher to the extent possible.

Hope I am clear.

Cheers,

Raviraj A Bhedase
Ashraf Jahangeer
User offline. Last seen 8 years 3 weeks ago. Offline

Critical Path in a plan at the begining are usually identified and dictated by experienced team members, after that as the project progresses the critical path is dictated by the turn of events.

Most often as an irony since lots of the focus and effort is diverted to activities on the critical path they no longer remain critical.

ulysses garcia
User offline. Last seen 13 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
This is a mind twisting question . what is your say...